The Bank of New South Wales opened their Wanganui branch in 1861 and built their first premises on this site in 1865. This old wooden building was demolished to make way for the new bank which was completed in October 1910.
Designed by Wellington architects Crichton and McKay, the bank was built by Russell & Bignell of Wanganui at a cost of £2,849. The Wanganui Heralddescribed the new bank as best a building that “conveys a sense of solidarity and stability and has just the appearance that a wholly reliable and trustworthy bank should have.” The banking chamber had a space for 15 tellers with a Wunderlich compressed steel ceiling that was fashionalbe at the time.
The bank manager lived upstairs but his accommodation was extended in 1927 to provide a closed-in balcony and room for a live-in maid. The manager even had a garden at the back complete with fruit trees.
The upper pediment and parapets, seen best in the photograph opposite, were removed in 1934 as tehy were thought to be an earthquake hazard.
The Bank of New South Wales merged with nbso reviews the Commercial Bank of Australia in 1982 to become Westpac and moved out of the old building in 1987. Mainstreet Wanganui was based here from 1992 to 2006 when the building was renovated. ABN AMRO Craigs now occupy the ground floor with local accountants, Lyndsay Tait & Associates and Sandy Dobbin, having offices on the first floor.