Minutes to be confirmed at the next meeting.
MAINSTREET WHANGANUI BUSINESS PROMOTIONS MEETING MINUTES
Wednesday June 21st at 5.30pm Held at Element Cafe & Restaurant
Present: Ross Fallon (Business Promotions Chair), Bex and Amy (Haldenstein’s), Brian and Tracy Hawker (Country Lane), Christine Stone (Antique Affair), Mike and Trish (Omega Coffee Cart), Miles Bocket (Re-dress), Robyn Ryder (Kelly’s Shoes), Rachel Brandon, (Blank Kanvas Concepts), Lyn Cheyne (Whanganui and Partners), Michelle Wilson (Zest for Mission), Theresa Webster (Vodafone).
In attendance from Mainstreet: Kelly Scarrow and Geoff Follett. Guests: Christina Emery and Tyler McDonald (Mediaworks). Apologies: Mike Puklowski, Lesley Steed, Deb & Tony Guthrie, Leighton Toy, Marianne Archibald, John Anderson and Helen Craig.
Ross opened the meeting introducing Lyn Cheyne representing Whanganui and Partners from Council and her new role as Strategic Lead – Destination.
CONFIRMATION OF MINUTES: The minutes of the last meeting were confirmed as a true and correct record.
Presentation from Kiwi TV:
- Shortly after the last meeting and the presentation from Kiwi TV Mainstreet emailed members explaining that Kiwi TV will be making contact with them to outline their digital promotion proposal
- Blank Kanvas Concepts and Antique Affair were soon contacted by Kiwi TV but have heard very little since.
Representation at Business Promotions meetings by Council: Councillor Helen Craig and Whanganui and Partners Lyn Cheyne will take turns attending these meetings. Lyn is here today.
Town Centre Regeneration Project
- Council has allocated $200,000 to the town centre regeneration project.
- A committee has been set up to manage the strategy which includes Helen Craig, Jenny Duncan, Josh Chandulal-Mackay, Hadleigh Reid, Jack Mitchell Anyon, Bruce Dickson and Amanda Gibbons. They will have their first meeting later this month.
- As part of the Town Centre Regeneration Project, Bruce would like to see improvements made to block 4. Including reorganising parking to create more open spaces, access ways from the top block into to St Hill Street and Wicksteed Street, a public toilet and improved signage.
Presentation from Mediaworks Whanganui from Tyler and Christina.
- Mediaworks comprises 7 radio stations including Whanganui’s MoreFM and includes digital and television platforms.
- They support local events and help with business marketing and promotion to ensure that revenue generated is kept local.
- They offer free services such as on air community notices, a what’s on guide and supply local news.
- Media Prize Draw: Mediaworks have teamed up with Mainstreet to offer a month’s worth of free advertising open to Mainstreet members who attend Business Promotions meetings.
- This month’s prize draw was won by Vodafone.
Remodelling of the Christmas Late Night Shopping Promotion
- Traditionally Christmas Late Night shopping has been held on the Thursday evening a week before Christmas to coincide with the department stores late Thursday nights as an opportunity to get that last gift.
- Kelly asked the committee for ideas for a revamped pre-Christmas shopping event. Ideas suggested included; that Mainstreet facilitate a Saturday or Sunday shopping event between 10am and 4pm rather than a traditional late night; having a promotion within a promotion i.e. special prize draws; that the event should spread entertainment along the four blocks incorporating music (bands), face painting and a bouncy castle.
- MoreFM pledged their support in any way they can.
- Kelly will gather ideas via BP meetings & possibly a survey to all members for any ideas and suggestions they may have. – Let the brain storming begin.
- Shortly a survey will be emaild to all Mainstreet stake holders and members. The information gathered will feed into a review that will point the direction Mainstreet will head in the future.
- Lyn spoke about the importance of face to face contact with members other than emailed information and newsletters.
Food Fiesta – July 4th-8th
- Food and beverage members will offer specials and deals over the 5 days.
- Thursday evening July 6th – Food carts and music at Majestic Square.
- Saturday morning July 8th – Kiwi Kids can Cook competition in conjunction with NZ Chef’s Association.
Watt Fountain Fanfare
- A heritage street party is planned for Thursday evening September 7th between 5pm and 8pm to celebrate the Watt Fountains 136th year and its upgrade.
- The road will be closed between the Watt Fountain to Majestic Square. Retailers will be encouraged to dress up and have stalls on the foot path outside their shops. The evening will feature music, entertainment and local food carts.
- Lyn spoke about the Yellow Project which is basically the yellow Paige’s in the old time phone books – but on line.
- Whanganui and Partners, Mainstreet, local and Loyal and the Chamber of Commerce are working together to get all Whanganui business connected.
Whanganui Boutique Shopping Guide
- Lyn talk about the possibility of reprinting the Boutique Shopping Guide as there are very few left at the i-site and some information is out of date and there is new branding and website details.
- This was produced by Mainstreet and Visit Whanganui contributed $1k towards towards photography.
- Ross, Tayler, Lyn and others reflected on the encouring signs pointing toward a buoyant local economy with an increase of visitors from other regions; a local car dealership recording record sales, the new development in block 2 and an increase in the the number of people moving back ‘home’.
Meeting Closed 6.30pm. All members are welcome to the next meeting time and place to be confirmed